The following is an extract from T. BULMER & Cols HISTORY, TOPOGRAPHY, AND DIRECTORY OF Lancaster & District - (Circa 1912) - edited by J. Bulmer.
The Catholic Church, dedicated to St. Mary and St. Michael, is a handsome Gothic structure, erected at a cost of £4,000, from a design by the elder Pugin. It is situated in Bonds, and has superseded the chapel built in 1784, in Garstang, which is now used as the Institute. The church, which was opened in 1858, consists of nave and aisles, separated from each other by a row of fine pillars with pointed arches. The altar is of Caen stone, and the windows are of beautifully stained glass, representing St. Charles Borromeo attending the plague-stricken sick at Milan, the Blessed Virgin treading on the serpent's head, the Good Shepherd, St. Elizabeth of Portugal, The Crucifixion, Adam and Eve driven out of Paradise, &c., with the Arms of the Dalton and Stapleton families, the whole surmounted by representations of the Blessed Trinity. The window over the High Altar is a memorial, as also are two in the Lady Chapel, the gift of Sarah Waights. The church will accommodate about 800 persons. The Rev. James R. Hennessy is the priest in charge (since 1874), assisted by the Rev. James O'Dwyer, curate.
Adjoining the church are a presbytery, burial ground, and schools, the whole covering 2! acres.
The Catholic Schools, under the charge of the Sisters of Charity of St. Paul, are an excellent block of buildings situated close to the church. They have accommodation for 180 children, and are attended by about 100.